Last week Donald Trump asked for options on attacking Iran’s main nuclear site but eventually decided not to take this dramatic step, a US official told The New York Times.
Trump reportedly made the request during a meeting on Thursday with his top national security aides, including Vice President Mike Pence, new Acting Defence Secretary Christopher Miller and General Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the official says.
The source said Trump’s advisers persuaded him not to go ahead with a strike because of the risk of a broader conflict.
“He asked for options. They gave him the scenarios and he ultimately decided not to go forward,” the official said.